Sunday, October 3, 2010

REVEALED: Snoopy Station

I know I've been talking about this project for a long time, and I really hope you're not disappointed by the results. Remember back in the day when I told you I was done with the Snoopy Station? What was that...June? What is wrong with me??? (Million dollar question, folks...feel free to comment your answer...I would love to identify the problem). Anyway...it's done...it's been done...here it is:

And here's a little breakdown of how it came to be:

I scored this little cabinet from Salvation Army. It was in need for a makeover...but for just $3...I feel like I could manage.

(Yes I realize that's a Christmas tree behind it and this project is almost a year old...get off me) I'm not sure what it's called, but it had that cheap, old, "wood" finish that was glossy; not the greatest for painting. So with a little advice from my Brother-In-Law (his job he maintained in college was house renovations...convenient, right?), I manually sanded down the wood to the best of my ability.
He also advised me to use an oil-based paint. These are tricky because there is no coming back from these, no washing it out...it's permanent. So when using an oil based paint...be VERY careful. You should also NEVER add latex paint over oil paint (it will bubble). I am usually a commit-a-phobe, but I chose an oil-based paint because of the time of furniture I was painting. Always research before you paint!! Here is a Bob Villa breakdown on oil-paint; I also like to reference Young House Love for painting suggestions. I ended up doing 3 coats (the first coat soaked right into the sanded wood, the second almost covered it, but not quite, and the third did the trick).

Finally, I picked out cute little handles and carefully drilled them in so I would have to scrape at the doors to open it; and thus we put the "wow" in "bow-wow" (laugh all you want...that's the real name of a pet groomer in my hometown of Magnolia and my best friend, Justin, and I get TOO tickled about it)!


(fyi...that IAMS bag isn't usually there...it's usually stored in the canister..oops). As a bonus, it also serves as a second nightstand in my bedroom...as you may have seen from this post (that's it peaking over the right side of my bed). Quite functional, eh? So there ya have it! A full fledged nightstand/dog cabinet for my best pal and bed partner (she hogs the covers....and the bed for that matter). So what do you think....was it worth it? How about the other animal lovers out there?? What ways are you all making your home more pet friendly and functional? Snoop and I are always on the hunt for new ideas!

2 comments:

  1. OMG I LOVE IT!!! You did such a good job! We don't really have a Bailey station but you know what? We keep his food and water bowls in the corner under a little corner niche wrought iron kitchen shelf thingy. Perhaps I should start looking for wooden one with concealing doors and put it in the corner? I shall begin the hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome job! I love those handles!

    ReplyDelete