Thursday, October 15, 2009

Give me the Greeeeen Liiiiiggghhhttt!

Happy Blog Action Day Everyone!!!! It's October 15th so it's time to post about some area of climate change. Since I try to post tips when I can, anyway, this was turning out to be a daunting challenge. So I took Michael Jackson's advice and started with the man (and in my case, a lady) in the mirror. I was just complaining to Zack yesterday about how much I wanted to eventually make enough small changes until I lived completely eco friendly. Unfortunately, on a college budget and in a rent house, that was very hard to do...then it hit me:

Why don't I post about ways college students can go green? College students actually have more waste than you might think...especially with paper. I narrowed it down to 6 simple tips for everyone on a college budget. I hope you all find the information useful and are able to carry the into your own lives. Here we go!

TIP 1: RECYCLE, RECYCLE, RECYCLE!!!!

There are many ways you can do this. This year for school, I purchased a 100% Recycled Binder (with soyink) and a 100% recycled notebook. Trust me, it's just as cute as the other notebooks, and I can take pride in it. The best part? I got them at Wal-Mart...so they were cheap too. You can also get recycled paper for your notebook and recycled copy paper for your printer (until you can afford an eco friendly printer) at Staples. Another way I help recycle is through my sorority. I am an Alumnae but I still give all my classnotes, quizes, tests, projects, and research papers to our Vice President of Scholarship. Not only am I recycling, but I'm helping out my sisters who might be struggling (Bonus)! You can do the same even if you are not in a sorority, some organzation will appreciate it very much!!! Of course, you can always recycle the standard way. I know there are many places on UCA campus that have recycle bins for paper, plastic, and boxes.

TIP 2: print less, save more.

Many professors don't mind if you use the front and back of paper to cut down on wasted paper...just ask first. Some of mine do because they want it to look "proffessional." That's ok. But how about when your printing off those slides, notes, or helpful charts for your class? This is for your own personal use, so definitly use both sides then! It might also help you keep up with you pages better. Another great tip for saving cash and the environment can be found at Wal-Greens. Last week (for the first time ever) I got my cartridges refilled. The black went through fine, the color one wouldn't work...but that's ok, I'm no better or worse off than I was right? It was done in about 30 minutes and with my UCA ID I got 10% off! My total? $12.50 (they didn't charge me for the colored one of course). So I saved some green in the environment, and in my pocket. Oh yeah...and this was at 2:00 in the morning working on a media law exam...convenient!!

TIP 3: cut down on disposables (yes, this means you, Mr. Beer Pong champ)

When I moved into my duplex with my brother I bought a set of cheap black dinner set at Wal Mart for 30 buckaroos. They were perfect for my style of living, cheap, and I love black. Plus I don't "run out" of plates or have double the waste I use to. My set came with 8 dinner plates, 8 saucers, 8 mugs, and 8 bowls...sweet! Many dorm rooms have kitchen areas, too (mine had a vanity we made into a kitchen area). So go ahead and invest in some actual plates. Don't worry, i'm understanding about you crazy kids that attend UCA and know what I mean when I say "the red cup rule." We found a way to reuse these as well....get ready....HANDWASH THEM. (you'll be ok...i promise).

TIP 4: napkins

This is simple...recycle old t-shirts, towels, and washclothes instead of using a ton of paper towel and/or napkins to clean. You are going to think I'm crazy when I say this but do you know what most detail business will use to clean your windows?? NEWSPAPER!! I'm not making this up, I have seen at least 3 businesses do it. You'll be recycling and it won't leave behind those...what are they...threads? we'll just say streaks. Give it a try...I dare you.

TIP 5: Lights.

We've discussed this before...the energy effecient lightbulbs. Once again, they cost more, but you save more money AND they last longer. Use these for your lamps and use lamps instead of overhead lights. They're "homier" and are much more eco friendly that cheap overhead lights.

TIP 6: Clean Green

Buy Green cleaning products! I know dorm/rent life is dirty and germ infested. But Green cleaning products work just as well as regular ones, and are MUCH better for the environment. I like to use Clorox Greenworks Cleaners and laundry detergent (also sometimes I use Tide "loads of Hope" because I like to help the needy).

So I hope these tips helped!!! What ways are you guys going green? I would love to hear your tips as well since i'm new at this. Did anything I say help?

In honor of today's blog post, I leave you with this Song O' the day. Have a great one!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment