Thursday, December 3, 2009

How to Make a Diaper Cake!

In honor of baby Greenlee coming VERY soon....here is my last post about Summer's Shower.... The infamous diaper cake. Hopefully you all will enjoy, learn, and attempt!!


STEP 1: pick out the diapers of your choice. I went with Huggies Organic diapers (of course) and I got the newborn size because I figured a new baby might be a cost shock at first -- she can use them imediately. These diapers were less than $20 for a pack of....err....I think 52 and Target.


STEP 2: Everybody (record scratch) get your roll on!

I chose to start at the *ahem* crotch end and work my way up (sorry...I couldn't think of a cleaner way to say that). Roll them as tight as you can!!!




STEP 3: SECURE!!!

Do this with a regular sized rubber band...simple as that!


STEP 4: Making the base

Get a larger rubber band for this step. You'll want to secure abotu 5 diapers together. Make sure you only pull this rubber band over the diapers. don't continue to wrap...you'll want it a little loose. Then stick a baby bottle in the middle and the "backbone." I stuck a few Snickers in the bottle as a little treat for the momma later.



STEP 5: making the base pt. 2

Continue sticking the rolled diapers in the large Rubber band ring to make the extended base. make it as wide as you like (my suggestion is to use 5 diapers for the top of the cake...so make sure you have enough for that). Then, repeat for the middle layer!






(yes, I know it's off center, but I didn't correctly anticipate how many diapers I needed and guess what....it still turned out ok)



STEP 6: Choose your ribbon colors!!


Just go nuts on this part. I've seen some great looking diaper cakes with think brown ribbon and a pink thinner ribbon layering it. I wanted to keep my cake simple with the theme, so I chose a soft green. Use this to cover up the rubber bands...might I suggest using double sided tape??



STEP 7: Pick your "topping"


Some diaper cakes I've seen have a bear sitting on top, or a bottle, or a kid-sized basketball. Again, I wanted to compliment my theme. So I found some beautiful fake green hydrangias (sp?) at Hobby Lobby that fit the top of the cake PERFECTLY (it didn't hurt that they were 50% off!). Then I used some wire cutters to cut of the stem and stuck that sucker right in the middle of the top layer.



STEP 8: Adding your decorations


Again, make this as fun as possible and with your theme! For baby boys, you can stick little tenis shoes, baseballs, etc. For girls, teddy bears, tiny ballet shoes, etc. I've seen some really cute cakes where the person turned it into a gift basket and added pacifiers, bottles, baby food and have it draping off the cake. Again-me-theme...plus I wanted to tie in black from the picture frames used for decorating without looking too "dark" So I kept it simple and made it personal.


So there ya have it folks!!!! what do you think? Was this "how to" helpful? Would you like to see more "how-to's"? Did it wear you out like it did my baby girl??Leave a comment and let me know what you all think!! Peace and Love!

1 comment:

  1. That looked so fun! and easy, which often makes crafting more fun because when you have an idea of the finished product, you want it to come to fruition as fast as possible.

    I have to say, that as cute as it is, I still can't fully accept the word, "Diaper cake." *blegh*

    ReplyDelete