Monday, October 5, 2009

Going green for Halloween

I am a DORK when it comes to holidays (in fact...on my blog list I have more bl0g ideas for Christmas than all of the others put together!). I love everything about holidays: tradition, community, stories, decorations, spirt. The only 2 bad things about them are calorie intakes and they aren't always fantastic for the environment. Well hopefully I can at least help with one of those!!



1. If you decorate with lights, try LED lights instead (simple enough?)



2. Try to use household items to recycle into a costume! last year, I put on some black pants, a white v-neck tshirt, and black shoes. I got some kid leggings (I have no idea why those were still in my possession), cut off the legs and put 5 holes where i could wear them as fingerless gloves(I know it sounds weird but it was quite dashing). Then I cut jagged shapes out of old cereal boxes and mixed acrylic paint with medium to make it look like blood, and splashed it all over my shirt. Can you guess what I was? A "cereal" (serial) killer!! Everyone thought it was crafty and it was 100% recycled! (sorry, no pictures...)



3. Safety first!! use battery-free LED flashlight instead! You'll be safe and green :)



4. After carving your Jack-O-Lantern, use soy-candles.



5. try organic candy (I need to do some research of how available this is in the area). Also, use a recycled bag or pillow case intead of plastic to carry your goods :)





6. HERE"S THE BEST PART: I found the COOLEST thing: Trees for Treats offers a way to help the environment in addition to candy. Here's how it works: Adults buy “tree coupons” (bundles of 50 for $6 at .10 a piece) and give away to trick-or-treaters in addition to or instead of conventional treats. For each bundle sold, 50 trees are planted. How sweet is that? here is what the coupon looks like:





I am SO all about this!!! How about you?? Any more tips for ways to stay green even in the fall??

No comments:

Post a Comment